Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Could we try to avert the coming riots?


I opposed the war in Iraq because I thought it would lead to the peace from hell, but I'd rather not see my prediction come true, and I don't think we have much time left to avert it.

That the occupation is not going well is apparent to everyone but Donald Rumsfeld. If this thing turns into Vietnam simply because that man is too vain and arrogant to admit that Gen. Eric Shinseki was right when he said we would need "several hundred thousand troops" over there, I hope Rumsfeld rots in a hell worse than the one he's making.

Rumsfeld, with his usual cocksure breeziness, said on May 15: "A few areas have challenges, to be sure. But most areas are progressing and a growing number actually have conditions that are today estimated to be better than prior to the recent war."

What number, from what to what? Out of how many?

When is the Washington press corps going to figure out that's precisely the kind of statement by Rumsfeld that needs extensive deconstruction?

Molly Ivins Archives


No comments: