Monday, February 07, 2005

Google is screwing with its search engine


And apparently making a hash of it.
A direct connection to this page has disappeared from all results. Indirect connections and archives appear not to be affected.

Google had minor revisions late last year. I could no longer say "#1 on Google for liberal news" but I agreed with the placement and Easter Lemming Liberal News Digest was still within the top three. For a few hours in January I suddenly became #1 again before dropping back. Now this page has disappeared entirely for search terms. Other pages that point to this page show up and archive pages show up but ranked lower.

Some people think it may be connected with their adwords program - if you request to run them your site may get dropped. If you advertise using adwords you move up. I had put in a request to have them recently but hadn't installed the code yet. I am getting strange results on the search allinurl:elemming2.blogspot.com but it does not appear to be the new 1969 pagejackers.

News on Update Allegra, as it is or was called, is also disappearing into a 404 black hole.

I am not the only one thinking this update is a disaster.

Here is some of the thread links.

An interesting result that picks up my archives but not the main page.

2700 mentions of "Easter Lemming Liberal News" but not the "Easter Lemming Liberal News."

Apparently Google thinks people don't need to find anything I write about. Are they now Republican?

No comments: