Wednesday, November 27, 2002

OpinionJournal - United We Stand

This is written from the conservative side but equally applies all.

"I love you," she said, "but I'm not going to think like you."

A small idea, an obvious idea, but it turned my world on its head. I don't agree with my wife's take on politics--but she's my wife. We've sworn an oath to stay together. I think we can cut each other a little slack.

And the same goes for my friends. I'd understood for a long time that my friends didn't think like me--but I'd forgotten the more important part of it. We're friends. We love each other.

I still think he's a nut for listening to Noam Chomsky, and I'll tell him so. But I love him anyway. That's how I can be his friend.

I read my first Noam Chomsky book last month. I do not think he is a nut.

No comments: