Saturday, January 31, 2004

Ani DiFranco Live


So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter DiFranco Live

Who besides Ani DiFranco would begin an album with a piercing buzz and a muttered "I don't know why the f**k I play acoustic guitars"? But then who else would release a double-disc concert set only five years after the last one? Like 1997's Living in Clip, her latest live document is sublimely packaged and messily recorded, and features the backing of a howling audience and a hot jazz-rock band. Highlights include a funky, almost gangsta take of her best New York song, "Cradle and All"; Julie Wolf's grinding organ on "Napoleon"; and the previously unreleased post-9/11, antiwar poem "Self Evident."

a reviewer - "Her music has always spoken to me when I have nothing else to comfort me. This album is a live album, somewhat raw, but still Ani. If you have never seen her live, buy this album and then go see her. You will not be disappointed."

No comments: