Thursday, June 29, 2006

FM 97.5 TALK moves to the ignorant right


Riding in my car Wednesday afternoon I turned to 97.5, which brought moderate talk radio to FM Houston airwaves and I heard someone new. It sounded like a Rush Limbaugh clone - pfft. As I listened further I heard it was conservative Tennessee yokel Phil Valentine's newly syndicated show.

Now, I tuned to that station because it hadn't been stupified by the right before now that I'd heard, although admittedly it has some odd programs and I hadn't listened much.

How bad was Phil's show? I heard a defense of "no global warming and not human caused if it was" that was straight off of conservative talking points that had been revealed as hoaxes years ago. How bad - a long attack on Al Gore as a lying propagandist and the 17,000 scientists that disagree with human caused global warming.

Do you know where that 17,000 scientists hoax is from? Here, tell them online you're a "scientist" (along with the Spice Girls and the characters from MASH who are among thousand of "scientists" signed up) and add your name to the list. Isn't that "Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine" a reputable organization? No, they are a father and son barnyard institute set up to sell nuclear war survival supplies and alternative medical information.

Who should I believe - Al Gore and real scientists - or a barnyard institute petition that anyone can sign saying they are a scientist? Which is more likely to be cited by a lying propagandist - hundreds of peer-reviewed scientific journals or an internet petition?

The American people are being scammed, hood-winked, flim-flammed and had by the rich snake-oil salesmen of the right and their media machine. And now we have more thought pollution on Houston radio.

No comments: