Saturday, February 22, 2003

Worst Book Review Ever

washingtonpost.com: Below the Beltway

I am on the phone with Robert Burrows, author of the recently published political novel Great American

Parade. This book has sold only 400 copies nationwide, and Burrows seems flabbergasted to be hearing from me. The most prestigious newspaper to have shown any interest so far is the Daily Student at Indiana University.

I tell Burrows that if he is willing to submit to an interview, I am willing to review his book at length in The Washington Post. The only catch, I said, is that I am going to say that it is, in my professional judgment, the worst novel ever published in the English language.

Silence.

"My review will reach 2 million people," I said.

"Okay," he said.

I have said this before, and I'll say it again. I really love my job.

I actually agree with the premise of this book but it sounds pretty awful. I don't remember exactly what links brought me to this.


Unrelated: Music I am listening to: Screw Her Gently and others by Tenacious D and Lucky Stars and Math Suks and others by Buffett. Screw me Gently is the alternate title, check out my Poetry link for more info. I think Jack Black is hilarious.


No comments: