Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Next Generation

I was born that way.
I have had those feelings...
those longings... all my life.
It is not unnatural. I am not
sick because I feel this way.

I do not need to be helped, and
I do not need to be cured. What
I do need -- what all of those
like me need -- is your
understanding and your compassion.

We do not injure you in any way.
And yet we are scorned, and
attacked. And all because we are
different.

What we do is no different from
what you do. We talk and laugh...
we complain about work and we
wonder about growing old... we
talk about our families, and we
worry about the future...

We cry with each other when things
seem hopeless.

All the loving things that you
do with each other... that's what
we do. And for that, we are
called misfits, and deviants...
and criminals.

What right do you have to punish
us? What right do you have to
change us? What makes you think
you can dictate how people love
each other?


NOOR
I congratulate you, Soren. Your
decision to admit your perversion
makes it much more likely that
we can help you.
'The Outcast' Star Trek:TNG Teleplay by Jeri Taylor

In syndication many small scenes are cut. The first part of Noor's decision included above as she orders Soren away to be 'cured' is one of them.

Gay rights is the civil rights issue of this generation
. There is the general concensus this greatly hurt the Democratic party in the 2004 elections. You know, "those liberals are always on the wrong side." This is a fight like racism that the Democrats are in the right and are on the side of history. This is a fight the GOP leadership knows they will eventually lose and don't really feel is important but cynically choose to wage it now to get votes. Ask the gay but not completely out national leaders of the GOP - RNC leaders Ken Mehlman (Chairman), Dan Gurley (National Field Director), and Jay Banning (CFO).

Look at Christianity. On my optimistic days I see Christianity as the story of the triumph of love. Gay rights will win becuase love is a powerful unstopable force.

Raw Story, #1 in liberal news the talented bastards, now has a RawstoryQ focusing on gay news.

No comments: