Sunday, January 22, 2006

Deborah Howell's Mea Culpa


While blasting liberal bloggers for playing a game of semantics she retracts both offensive statements.
I wrote that he gave campaign money to both parties and their members of Congress. He didn't. I should have said he directed his client Indian tribes to make campaign contributions to members of Congress from both parties.
No problem there and that is OK. She should have also included that his client victims reduced their previous giving to Democrats but we have to start with getting rid of the obvious lies.
My mistake set off a firestorm. I heard that I was lying, that Democrats never got a penny of Abramoff-tainted money, that I was trying to say it was a bipartisan scandal, as some Republicans claim. I didn't say that. It's not a bipartisan scandal; it's a Republican scandal, and that's why the Republicans are scurrying around trying to enact lobbying reforms.
She admits it is a Republican scandal. Earlier she had written "stay tuned" as so far only Republicans have been indicted.

I would say the bloggers won one.


Tags: , , , ,

No comments: