Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Clinton Foreign Experience Exaggerated


William Douglas - McClatchy Newspapers:
Leon Panetta, Bill Clinton's White House chief of staff, and Sandy Berger, Bill Clinton's national security adviser, both said that Hillary Clinton wasn't privy to the president's daily intelligence brief, nor did she sit in on National Security Council meetings....

On the stump, Clinton takes credit for helping to bring peace between warring Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. George Mitchell, the former Maine senator who helped negotiate the peace agreements, has said that Clinton's visits to the region and meetings with female activists there were "very helpful" in the peace efforts.

But one of the key Irish negotiators last week called Clinton's description of her role in the process a "wee bit silly."

"I don't know there was much she did apart from accompanying Bill (Clinton) going around," David Trimble told Belfast's Daily Telegraph....

On the stump, Clinton also touts her visits to war zones. She describes a harrowing flight into Bosnia, where her plane had to make a corkscrew landing to avoid enemy fire.

The comedian Sinbad, who accompanied Clinton on the Bosnia trip along with singer Sheryl Crow, disputed Clinton's description of the danger.

"I think the only 'red phone' moment was: Do we eat here or at the next place?" Sinbad told The Washington Post on Monday. "I never felt being in a sense of peril, or 'Oh, God, I hope I'm going to be OK when I get out of this helicopter or when I get out of his tank." Sinbad supports Obama....

Summed up Myra Gutin, a communications professor at New Jersey's Rider University and author of "The President's Partner: The First Lady in the Twentieth Century": "She had the proximity to power, but she wasn't the one who made policy — she didn't have the accountability."
New campaign slogan: "Vote Hillary, I was in the room with power and often slept with it before that Monica slut came along."

More from Sinbad:
In her Iowa stump speech, Clinton also said, "We used to say in the White House that if a place is too dangerous, too small or too poor, send the First Lady."

Say what? As Sinbad put it: "What kind of president would say, 'Hey, man, I can't go 'cause I might get shot so I'm going to send my wife...oh, and take a guitar player and a comedian with you.'"

No comments: