Sunday, October 26, 2003

What Voucher's Support - Gay Comes Out And Is Expelled


High school senior came 'out' - and was expelled

The handbook's conduct code says students' goal should be obeying Scripture and that they should "practice courtesy, kindness, morality, honesty and consideration" with teachers, employees, fellow students and visitors.

It lists three reasons for automatic expulsion: bringing a weapon to school; threatening a teacher, student or administrator; or committing a felony.

"It has come to our attention that your son is a homosexual and we'd like to know what you'd like to do about it," he said, according to Jeffrey and his mom.

That's when he provided the three options: help with his "problem," withdrawal or expulsion.

Gload told Grimm, "I don't consider being gay to be a problem."

Jeffrey said he wouldn't withdraw.

"I told them, 'I love this school. I love what I've learned. I'm proud of how I've been able to grow here, especially in my knowledge of the Bible. I don't want to withdraw from this school and I won't withdraw from this school.' "

Gload asked Grimm why her son couldn't simply complete his senior year.

"If you're asking us to accept him, we cannot do that," she says Grimm told her. "We have an image to protect."

No comments: