Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Citizens fight road extension

Act Local and be ignored

Citizens went to Tuesday's council meeting to plea to council not to force them out of their homes.

"I have lived in my house since 1946. I am getting too old, and I don't think I can survive a move," said Ruth Caskey of 1216 Scott Street.


In December, Assistant to the Mayor for Public Works Robin Green said between 30 and 35 homes on Scott Street near the bayou will be bought out for the expansion of Strawberry Road, as will a portion of the Second Baptist Church site. Property gained will be used as a right of way alignment.

Pat Van Houte, another resident of the area, but one who will not be losing her home, has been working on a petition to stop the land acquisition.

"This is unnecessary. Businesses on Pasadena Boulevard will hurt from the loss of traffic, and I have numbers here that show 921 signed 'no' to the Strawberry extension. I don't think it matters how many numbers I have; the project will continue," said Van Houte.

Her reasons opposing the extension are:

1- Negative impact on the Pasadena Gardens area

2- Neighborhood atmosphere would be destroyed

3- Property value would be lowered

4- Creates an obstacle for school children

5- Income loss for established businesses in the area

6- Not efficient use of tax dollars

In the petition signed by nearly 1,860 people who work or live in Pasadena, many left comments asking that the money be used to improve existing streets and sidewalks rather than building a new street.

"This is unnecessary. Businesses on Pasadena Boulevard will hurt from the loss of traffic, and I have numbers here that show 921 signed 'no' to the Strawberry extension. I don't think it matters how many numbers I have; the project will continue," said Van Houte.



No comments: