Thursday, January 30, 2003

Misleading math

Scott Rosenberg pointed out that Bush was using misleading math in his SO the U speech. The "average tax break of $1100. He repeated Krugman's example of why averages are misleading:

A liberal and a conservative were sitting in a bar. Then Bill Gates walked in. 'Hey, we're rich!' shouted the conservative. 'The average person in this bar is now worth more than a billion!'"

In the same way an average tax break is meaningless when it is tilted to the rich and to families. His call for accelerating the 2004 and 2006 tax cuts is another rich giveaway, the primary tax function that occurs in those years is to lower the top brackets - no effect for lower brackets. He concluded: "I wouldn't buy a used car from anyone who I knew played so fast and loose with simple arithmetic -- let alone trust him on matters of life and death, war and peace."

Warbloggers - wrong

I did a long e-mail reply to a war blog on why we should go to war. I am thinking of posting it here. He was passionate and patriotic and idealistic and prejudiced and scared and wrong.

I'll wait awhile and see if I want to make changes.

No comments: