Sunday, November 30, 2003

Archive Trouble


I had been noticing I couldn't get to some of my archives. I found it trying to investigate any reasons why four weeks ago was my top week. It was hard to see if this was general Blogspot flakiness or something else.

Finally, I realized that the archived days I could usually go to all had no images on them.

My putting on images has been controversial as it uses the hosting site's bandwidth. I justified it by always providing links to the site - where the link image could be thought of as advertising, and by only using commercial site images. Well, perhaps blogspot doesn't like it and won't retrieve the archived pages now. Oddly, some with images show up in google cache.

The problem is I know of no way of correcting this, if this is not just Blogspot being flaky today. If you want archived pages that happened to have images you can't get there from my daily archive index. You will have to try google and use the cache which has about 270 of my 394 archives, some with images!

This is better than Google's Internet Archive Wayback Machine which has only four views of my main page and where the last view of the archive page was February 15.

I am still investigating this and don't know how my Search box is affected.

Added - it is partially Blogspot being flaky, some days where I get 'page not found' will come up if I manually type the url. This includes October 24, 2003 that had two images - I just removed one - and other days with no images.

Still more added: it seems it is general flakiness of blogspot. Clicking on archived day will sometimes generate a 'page not found error.' Often you can get to it directly, easiest by clicking on a day that does work and then inserting the correct date in the url. Search works the same way, sometimes clicking the day from the archive will generate the 'page not found' error. No solution except trying the date manually if it says not found. Today - Monday - Most days are fine, sometimes they generate file not found. This will take a while but I will republish the entire archives to try to correct the links. -- Worked.

No comments: