Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Received my first panicked phone call


Didn't get to sleep until after 6:30 and a friend of mine calls me panicked just after 10 AM.

"Where are you going? It's time to get out of here!"

Me groggy, "Has the course changed?"

"It's headed straight for us and it's bad news. I don't want to die! Maybe I'll go to Huntsville and stay in a shelter. What are you doing?"

"As of late last night staying here unless it looked like it would hit closer. Let me get online and check."

"I've only been through one hurricane and I don't want to do that again in a monster hurricane."

Me: "It looks like they shifted it a bit further South. Without my glasses I am not sure. But it is not closer and not headed right at us."

By that time I had lost her cell phone connection.

I had promised my sister and nephew I would make them some CD's by this morning.

Of course, Cakewalk Pyro decided not to recognize my CD Burner again. This is a known common problem with the software. It is especially common with my model of CD burner which provides no CD writer drivers of its own but relies on the music software to create any kind of CDs. Pyro wants to be the only software on your PC that is able to talk to that CD drive. Any other programs can cause Pyro not to recognize the CD burner. My version of Pyro is also 3 years old with no free upgrades available. I have other music software so this has happened before.

I had to go through all my songs on my computer, 2800 of them, volume equalizing them so Windows media player could create good sounding CD's for my sister.

That was fine except WMA cannot produce a data CD that I promised my nephew. I had to transfer his 5 CD's worth of songs to my sister's portable PC to create his. The first one did not verify. So that is why I was up till after 6 AM.

Then my sister did not take her CD to work.

I need coffee.

No comments: