Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rita is now Houston's 'Perfect Storm'


Two days ago the Science Guy at the Houston Chronicle depicted what would happen in a worst case scenario. Rita is following that path with a higher intensity.

A 20 foot storm surge in Galveston Bay could flood over 500,000 homes.

Meanwhile the storm coming in at Freeport, close to current projection, produces winds in excess of 120 mph that tear through Houston.

We are leaving tonight for either Jackson Mississippi area or Clarksville Ark., both Super-8 said were closest areas with available hotel space for tomorrow night. I have a courtesy reservation till 6 PM tomorrow for Clarksville, 90 miles north of Hot Springs but the others are leaning toward Jackson Mississippi.

Meanwhile my ex-wife is rescuing neighborhood stray cats to try to protect them from the storm surge. She is planning just to go to Humble. Still in the new hurricane zone but away from flooding which is the worst danger.

If I was by myself I would stay in the 2nd floor of our house but I'm not.

No comments: