Thursday, June 15, 2006

My letter to the FCC


Regarding the $3.6 million fine for Without a Trace for what you described as a teen sex orgy.

I saw the clip of the teen orgy. There was no nudity on the show, it was on at a late hour, the content was marked adult, and it was necessary to the plot of the show.

The only things indecent, profane and obscene are the FCC for the over $3 million fine and the complaints that originated from two Christian sex hate groups. None of the original complainers actually appear to have seen the show.

I have a serious complaint about your abuse.

I thought you were the place to go to complain about the takeover by fewer and fewer corporations of the public airways or the political propaganda put on by the new batch of conservative PBS talk shows? I haven't seen any actions you have taken on those matters. My newscasts this week also had a photo of the face of an Iraqi corpse which I thought was a no-no. There is also some pirate broadcaster that occasionally interrupts my programming to put on some faux Texas rancher in a big white house. Can you do anything to stop that program?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at the risk of sounding like an old fogey, I thought the clip was fairly explicit (although appropriate to the context).

What I find obscene are shows about car crashes and American funniest ski accidents. They are downright painful to watch. I just don't want to watch reality programming where people are seriously injured.

I think Americans need to decide whether we really want FCC to oversee network shows anymore. If they didn't, then we might start to witness a race to the bottom. If they do regulate, the result is often heavy-handed and responding simply to the most narrow minded.

Anonymous said...

"Nearly all indecency complaints in 2003, 99.8% percent were filed by the Parents Television Council, an activist group."

So is the government going to allow The PTC to determine community standards?

If parents are that worried, perhaps they shouls turn the television off altogether.

Gary said...

You may think it was more explicit than it was becuase of the darkness - adjust you darkness and contrast on your monitor to lighten it up.