Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Two recent television heroes.

"We have a mindless boy right now with the most powerful job in the world. And that is perilous. We have an attorney general who is like the guy Arthur Miller described in "The Crucible" in Salem, Massachusetts, 300 years ago, who urges people to spy on other people, witchcraft, and all women are hanged. So we have this.

So am I being subversive now? Because we were told, to criticize George Bush now, in view of 9/11, is un-American. I'm very un-American in that respect. Except that I’m really American.

Because we were founded with the idea of somebody being free. That's the idea of Thomas Paine. He was the one who was admired by Washington and Jefferson. And he wrote of a new society-we never had one-in which a person speaks his mind of his public servant.

Bush is my public servant and yours. Does something wrong, you must speak out. It’s not simply your right, it’s your duty to do so. And I speak my mind right now. And that’s American.

I really feel there's a new silent majority that may agree with me to some extent, and that’s to you. There’s a new silent majority, if I may use a Nixonian phrase..." Studs Terkel

James Carville
, the other hero, literally exploded when a right wing guest said that all of Islam is evil.

"...people in these mosques in these countries that are praying, that are working, that are good Americans, that pay taxes here. They're not evil people. They're good people. And for you to suggest that and Franklin Graham to suggest that is just wrong, god damn it, it is wrong. "

Both from weblog commentator's site BuzzFlash.

No comments: