Friday, December 14, 2007

Pasadena Texas Makes The New York Times

The operator told him not to go out with a gun because officers would be arriving.

“O.K.,” Mr. Horn said. “But I have a right to protect myself too, sir,” adding, “The laws have been changed in this country since September the first, and you know it.”

The operator said, “You’re going to get yourself shot.” But Mr. Horn replied, “You want to make a bet? I’m going to kill them.”

Moments later he said, “Well here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I’m going.”

Then he said: “Move, you’re dead.”

There were two quick explosions, then a third, and the 911 call ended.

“I had no choice,” Mr. Horn said when he called 911 back. “They came in the front yard with me, man.”

Captain Corbett said that a plainclothes officer had pulled up just in time to see Mr. Horn pointing his shotgun at both men across his front yard, that Mr. Ortiz had at one point started to run in a way that took him closer to Mr. Horn, and that both men “received gunfire from the rear.”
Includes MP3s of portions of the 911 calls. More recordings of the 911 call.

Lots of comments from all over the world.

Pasadena's reaction to this shooting? This coming Tuesday it will ban protests in neighborhoods. Houston Chronicle story here.

No mention of the amount of money they will have to pay attorneys to defend this frontal assault on the first amendment. No mention in the Pasadena Citizen story that the Supreme Court ruled against neighborhood bans on protests. The Houston Chronicle got that in their article. The permitted restrictions have to be very narrowly tailored to pass muster. No mention that the police could have dispersed the protests that occurred under existing ordinances.

If I have time I will review the ordinance and try to determine if it appears legally sound. Based on how badly it is written I will decide if I want to protest in front of the mayor's house and be the test case.

I had really liked living in Pasadena. I guess the KKK, which Pasadena was known for in the 60's, legacy still lives on. I had written before that I used to go over to feed my ex-wife's cats. Now that would be putting my life in danger. Whoever blew me away might be the next Pasadena hero.

No comments: