Tuesday, December 24, 2002

Buffy : Season 7 : Episode 7x10 (#132) "Bring On The Night" Summary

Buffy suddenly appears at the dining room entrance, looking battered but still strong. "We don't know how to fight it. We don't know when it'll come. Can't run, can't hide... can't pretend it's not the end 'cause it is. Something has always been there to try and destroy the world. We've beaten them back, but we're not dealing with them anymore. We're dealing with the reason they exist. Evil. The strongest. The First."

Giles interrupts "Buffy, I know you're tired..."
"I'm beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of Hell and it's going to swallow me whole..."
Suddenly her mood changes. "and it'll choke on me. We're not ready? THEY'RE not ready. They think we're gonna wait for the end to come, like we always do, I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? We'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run do it now, because we just became an army. We just declared war. From now on we won't just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them and cut out their hearts, one by one, until the First shows itself for what it is. And I will kill it myself. There's only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil. And that's us."
She looks around at her "army"
"Any questions?"

There has been some speculation that this is Buffy political commentary. However like Lord of the Rings, it is drawing the opposite inference to call Iraq or even the Islamic World the Evil One. Aside from a few terrorists, which this administration has as a low priority, they are the weak ones and we are the menacing Empire.

No comments: